- Some records show that Harry Thomson was born in 1934.
2. His home is Chikwawa along Shire River’s East Bank Road to Nsanje about 3 km from Thabwa turn off.
2. This means that in August 1961 when the first multi party elections were being held in the country, Harry Thomson was 27 years old.
3. The parties that contested in the August 1961 Elections were: Malawi Congress Party (MCP) led by Dr. Kamuzu Banda , United Federal Party (UFP) led by Michael Blackwood and Christisn Liberation Party (CLP) formed in April 1961 led by TDT Banda and Chester Katsonga as an amalgamation of TDT Banda’s Congress Liberation Party (1958) and Chester Katsonga ‘s Christian Democratic Party (1960).
4. The electoral records for the August 1961 Elections further show that UFP fielded a parliamentary candidate for the Lower Shire constituency by the name of Harry Thomson.
5. Harry Thomson contested against Gill Phiri (CLP) and Gwanda Chakuamba (MCP). Gwanda Chakuamba won the seat.
TO BE CONTINUED…
# Lost History Foundation